Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Doctor Appointment

Friday Dr. Blumrick (my perinatologist) called returning a question I had about my heparin injections. After he answered my questions, he said, “I’ve spoken with Dr. Polowy, your hematologist (my blood doctor). We have discussed your case and we both are in agreement that if your hematoma has grown since your last visit, we will need to take you off of blood thinners and put a filter in your vena cava. You cannot risk having this hematoma continue to grow while still being on blood thinners. With a filter, you will not be prevented from developing another clot, but at least the clot would not be fatal to you if you do clot during your pregnancy.”

I was stunned and shocked. I thanked my doctor and then hung up. Once I hung up, questions about my situation began flooding my mind. What about my heart irregularity from my last surgery? Will I have to go back on thinners regardless of the filter if I do end up clotting during pregnancy? What kind of drugs would be used on me during surgery when I am pregnant? What kind of threat does a surgery pose to the baby (the surgery would be happening right underneath the baby)? In addition I was remembering the trauma and ugliness of the surgery I had one year ago and had vowed to NEVER go through that again.

I called Scott and the tears began to flow!

And then word got out. My amazing and wonderful extended family decided they would fast for the baby and me. I feel so uncomfortable being in the spotlight again. I keep hoping that I can get through this “hiccup” and then go back under the radar permanently. Believe it or not, these health problems do not stem from a psychological need to get more attention.

I have felt humbled and embarrassed knowing that so many people were going without food on my behalf. Thanks so deeply to everyone who chose to help me in this way and also the many prayers that have been offered in my behalf. I love you all.

Today was my next appointment. Scott and I went in for the sonogram and I was feeling very anxious. After the sonogram, we had to wait for my doctor to arrive… it felt like a long wait. When we went into his office, we were so VERY! relieved to learn that the hemorrhage is stabilizing. It has not grown and in fact has slightly shrunk. He told us that as long as the hematoma is there we are at risk but he feels the risk is minimizing. So no surgery!!! Our little girl looks great and relatively speaking she is much bigger than the hematoma which is another good sign. My next appointment is in four weeks. If the hematoma has grown, then I will definitely need to have the filter put in. However, Dr. Blumrick does not anticipate that this will happen.

Thanks so much for all of your prayers and fasting for this little baby. We can’t wait to meet her and feel like she must be a special little lady if she has to go through this rocky start to be in our family. Will you please continue with your prayers – hopefully things will all work out in just a few more weeks.

Love,

Jill

6 comments:

Pluperfect said...

We are thrilled and very relieved.

nicole said...

I'm so glad things are moving in a positive direction. This is definitely a very special little girl who's lucky to be going to such a loving home!

Mary-Sunshine said...

I am sooo happy and can't wait to meet my sweet little neice!

Ali Hawkins said...

I am so happy to hear the good news. That filter is the surgery that my sister Jessica had done for her hemotoma and blood clots. If you have to have it she knows what it is like you could talk to her. You will probably be fine though it sounds like you are improving! How are you feeling! are you still puking all of the time?

Shalon said...

Dear Jill, how very scary. You are an amazing woman. Thank you for the opportunity to read a little more about what is going on with the new baby. We feel a little out of the loop up here, so by the time the grape vine trickles on down to us, its more entertainment decifering the actual information than news! Mom called about the fast, but the details were a little sketchy. It was a great chance for us and our children- and to hear that things might be improving, gave my kids a taste of something great. We are thinking of you and remembering you in our prayers. Lots of love to you and yours, Shalon

Jill said...

You have been through alot of turmoil. We will keep you in our prayers.