Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Birthday, Hero!



This has really been a difficult pregnancy for me... we must be getting someone really special for all of this effort (actually I know that all of our kids are worth it). Anyway, about three weeks ago I started having some really intense pain in my back that wrapped around to my stomach. I've had it before with my pregnancies, but this time it would not go away. It had started at 8:00 in the morning and by 1:00 the next morning, I couldn't take it anymore. Scott had left work early the day before to come and help me and so I knew if I asked Scott to take me down to the hospital he would miss another day of work where he was really busy and already feeling behind. I decided I really couldn't tolderate the pain anymore and asked him to take me down to the hospital anyway. At about 2:30 I was finally given some pain medication. The medication made me really dizzy and nauseated and I couldn't really move or talk without throwing up. I was lying there thinking about Scott who was sitting in the chair next to me (tired but just trying to make sure I was comfortable) who would also need to "get up" for work in a few hours and would not get to rest the way I would be. In addition to working, he was going to need to get the kids up and dressed, fed and sent to school. He would be needing to try to get the house cleaned up and Sam taken care of before he could think about work. He would also need to make sure I was doing OK. Through the fog of heavy sedation, I really wanted to tell Scott how much I appreciated all he was doing for me. I thought long and hard to form my words and finally heard myself saying, "you are my hero, Scott." That was all I could really get out.
The next day I asked Scott how I was acting with all of those drugs. He started laughing and said, "you told me I was your hero." Dang! That was no joke. I explained to him how hard it was to get those words out and that I really meant what I said. Scott has been so great to try and help me get through this pregnancy so far and I love him so much.
He is now 35 and a great husband and father. I love you, Scott! Happy Birthday!

No comments: